Jaggery is a super food ingredient in most dishes now. Apart from its cleansing benefits and other health properties, jaggery is also preferred because of its unique flavor and natural raw sweetness that lend a distinct characteristic to cooking. Let’s check out some simple recipes that uses jaggery as a vital ingredient to break the monotony of those regular dishes on your table.
- Jaggery (gur) grated 1 cup
- Rice soaked 1 1/2 cups
- Ghee 2-3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- Black cardamoms 3
- Cloves 2-3
- Cashewnuts finely chopped 4 tablespoons
- Almonds finely chopped 2 tablespoons
- Milk 1 1/2 cups
- Saffron, a few strands
- Heat ghee in a non stick pan, add cinnamon, black cardamoms, black peppercorns, cloves, cashewnuts and almonds and saute till fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add jaggery, 1½ cups water, milk, saffron and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Drain and add rice and mix well.Cook for 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or till the rice is cooked. Serve hot.
Source: Sanjeev Kapoor Recipes
- Whole Wheat – 2 cups (1 cup = 200 gms)
- Jaggery – 1 cup (quantity can be increased to 1.5 cups also)
- Refined oil – 1/3 cup
- Curd – 1 cup
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds etc) – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – a pinch (quantity can be increased to ½ tsp also)
- Baking powder – ½ tsp
- Baking soda – 1.5 tsp
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl – Whole wheat, baking soda and powder, cinnamon powder. In separate bowl, add oil, curd. Melt jaggery in microwave for 30 sec and add into the mixture to form a smooth puree.
- Add both dry and wet ingredients to form a nice batter. Add little milk, if batter gets too thick. Grease a baking dish and pour the cake batter in it. Sprinkle some crushed nuts on top of the batter.
- Air bake the cake in preheated airfryer at 160 degrees for 20 min. Once baked check with tooth pick. Once ready remove the cake from the airfryer and allow it to cool down. Once cool, cut into desired pcs and serve.
Source: Secret Indian Recipe
NO BAKE OATS JAGGERY BARS
- Oats – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Chopped Cashewnuts, walnuts, dried dates – 8-10 pcs each
- Sesame Seeds (Till) – 1 tsp
- Desi ghee – 1 tbsp
- Desiccated coconut – 1 tbsp
- Heat desi ghee in a pan and saute all chopped dried fruits on medium flame for few minutes till crisp.
- Add sesame seeds along with oats and roast till oats turn little brown.
- Once done, add jaggery and reduce down the flame. Cook till jaggery melts and switch off the flame immediately once jaggery melts.
- Add desiccated coconut in mixture and mix well. Transfer the material on a greased platform and flatten it up. Allow it set for 15 min.
- Once set, cut into desired shape. Store these bars in airtight container.
Source: Healthy Kadai
SRI LANKAN JAGGERY EGG PUDDING
- 6 large eggs
- 400 gm palm jaggery, melted in 2 tbsp water
- ¾ cup thick coconut milk
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 10-15 roasted cashewnuts
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat till smooth using a hand whisk.
- Add in the melted jaggery, coconut milk and cardamom powder and whisk till the mixture gets completely incorporated.
- Oil an 8 inch pan well and pour the mixture into it.
- Steam it for 15-20 minutes till set. Through the halfway stage, drop in the cashewnuts on top and continue till done. When touched, the top portion will be non-sticky.
- Allow to cool in the pan, cut and serve. It can be served hot or cold.
Source: The Big Sweet Tooth
ROASTED GRAM JAGGERY BALLS
- Roasted gram dal – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup grated
- Dry Ginger powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Ghee or rice flour – as needed
- Heat 1/3 cup of water, add jaggery and stir it to dissolve. Remove from heat and strain it to remove impurities.
- Take a kadai, add the filtered jaggery water and boil it. When it starts boiling, add a tsp of ghee, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder. Boil until the jaggery syrup thickens and reaches soft ball consistency.
- Take a small bowl of water, add a tsp of jaggery syrup to it. The jaggery syrup should not dissolve. If you are able to collect it and make a soft ball, it is the right consistency. Switch off the heat and add the roasted gram dal.
- Mix it well so that it is well coated with the jaggery syrup.
- Once the mixture cools slightly, grease your hands with ghee or dust your hands with rice flour and make balls out of the mixture when it is warm. If the mixture cools, it will harden, so make balls when the mixture is warm. In case, if it hardens, you can reheat it slightly.
Source: Padhus Kitchen