There’s nothing more enticing than the prospect of a freshly baked loaf of bread to fill your morning surroundings with an aroma resplendent of divine bakery stuff and deliciousness. And yet, when you pore over the topping options available at your kitchen counter, it’s inevitably the knife that comes to work on your delicious puff of morning sweetness!
That’s where the ease and convenience of sliced bread comes into the picture! And though many would say that slicing a loaf is no big deal, we beg to differ. For, “the best thing since sliced bread” has never come into existence even after 90 years of the ‘ path- breaking invention’!
‘SLICE’ OF HISTORY!
The 7th of July, 1928 was a bakery in Chillicothe, Mo’s moment of claim to eternal fame, when it began to sell pre-cut bread using Otto Frederick Rohwedder’s invention: the automatic bread-slicing machine.
Otto Rohwedder is credited with inventing sliced bread in 1928. His real innovation was the oiled paper it was wrapped in to kept it fresh. Ironically, this very wrapping was also the best thing before bread finally went under the knife.
Today being the birth anniversary of the humble bread slices that adorn our platter of morning bliss, let’s have a look at some fun facts that are staples of the bread world!
- Men eat bread more frequently than women: 44% of men eat bread twice a day compared with 25% of women.
- One in three slices goes in the bin, that accounts for roughly about 32% of wastage.
- Over 200 different kinds of bread are produced in the UK, courtesy the different quality of flour – from butter rich brioche and crisp baguettes to farmhouse loaves and focaccia, soft ciabatta and crumpets to chapattis and flaky croissants.
- An average slice of packaged bread contains only 1 gram of fat and 75 to 80 calories. Your bread does so much for you!
- Scandinavian traditions hold that if a boy and girl eat from the same loaf, they are bound to fall in love.
- Legend has it that whoever eats the last piece of bread has to kiss the cook. So you pay the cook, and he pays you back!