A big fat Indian wedding can easily dig a very big hole in your pockets. And when this big fat Indian wedding is the wedding of your dreams, but you can’t afford it, life can be pretty hard on you. That said, if you have a smart plan, you can easily get a wedding of your dreams on a budget that you can afford. Here’s how:
The first step in planning a wedding is to assess your financial situation. A wedding is a huge investment, and for it to be successful, you need to have funds. Figure out the budget of the wedding, how much funds you have and how much more you’ll need. For the additional funds, you can ask your family and friends or take a wedding loan in India.
The next step is to break down your wedding into various segments. Then divide your wedding budget between these wedding segments.
The step that comes next is crucial. This step ensures that you come up with ways to stick to your budget. In this article, we’ll talk about a few tried and tested tips that can be used to plan a glorious wedding at an affordable cost.
1. Tips on choosing a budget wedding venue
- If you want a 5-star hotel as your wedding venue, you can pre-book the place at least 6 months in advance. Booking in advance will save you some money compared to booking it during your wedding.
- If pre-booking is not an option, you can consider having a wedding during the off-season, day or time. Planning your wedding when most of them are not gives you the advantage of getting the hotel at a lower price.
- If the 5-star hotel venue is not in your budget, consider an outdoor wedding in the suburbs or outside the city limits. The beautiful landscape can be a pretty backdrop for your wedding.
2. Tips to save on wedding photography
- Avoid hiring a professional photographer and entrust the responsibility to a friend whom you trust to click perfect pictures.
- If you hire a professional photographer for wedding, then both the parties (bride and groom) can consider hiring a common photographer to get more discounts.
- Choosing a freelancer or fresher can be a good alternative to a professional photographer.
3. Tips to save on wedding invites
- Download beautiful and customisable wedding invitation templates for free online and print them.
- Send an email or WhatsApp invitation rather than spending huge money on printing expensive wedding invitation cards.
- If you still want to print traditional wedding cards, print them only to give to your close friends and relatives.
- For your colleagues, acquaintances and friends, email invitation would be fine.
4. Tips to save on the wedding attire
- Splurging on a stunning wedding attire, which you may never wear again, is a dead investment. Rather, consider wearing your mom or grand mom’s saree and lehenga. Give it a modern twist, if required.
- Renting the top designers’ wedding ensembles is a good option too. There are plenty of websites that allow you to rent wedding attires with rent as low as ₹ 10,000. This way, you get to wear a top designer brand at an affordable price.
5. Tips to save on wedding décor
- Prefer seasonal flowers over off-season flowers.
- Visit your local crafts store and buy artificial flowers and other items to decorate your wedding venue.
6. Tips for cutting costs on the guest list
- Keep it intimate. Invite people who are close to you and care about you, and whose presence will make you happy.
- If keeping it intimate is not an option, trim your guest list. You wouldn’t want known or unknown strangers to be part of your wedding celebration. Cutting down your guest list, even by 10 to 20 guests, can save significant money.
The above-mentioned tried and tested tips can help you afford a wedding of your dreams without burning a hole in your pockets.
You may also like Zero waste ideas for you to pursue wedding bliss through